Friday, December 28, 2018

How to make a Robot Peg Doll





Hello everyone! My name is Cinnamon Willis and I am hoping that you all are enjoying the holiday season as much as I am! Today's project will show you the basic steps to create a wooden peg doll. I turned this one into a robot, but you can make yours into whatever you would like it to be.


Supplies:

  • Creative Paperclay®
  • Wooden peg doll
  • Acrylic paint
  • Sanding paper
  • Aleene's Original Tacky Glue
  • Acrylic medium or gesso
  • Acrylic paint
  • 20-22 gauge wire (optional)




First I start out with an ordinary peg doll. These can be found in almost any art supply store for a couple of dollars. I brought these from my local Michaels in a pack of four, so that means I have three more to work on!





After taking a good look at the peg doll, I start mapping out where I plan to place things such as the arms, hands and feet on my robot.





After deciding where things would be, I sanded down the parts of the doll that I needed to add my clay to. This step makes it easier for the clay to grip onto the wood, it's very difficult to attach clay to smooth finished wood.





Once I get those areas rough, I slowly began smoothing some clay over the wood to bulk out my figure.





During the process of me sanding down the wood, I managed to sand off my character's face. I just drew it back on in this stage.





In this shot, I am sanding the clay on the piece down and preparing it for being painted. I'm using a sanding stick that I found on ebay, they're really good to get into small places.





Here, I gave the piece a light coat of acrylic medium, but you could us gesso instead. I added the medium to give the piece a surface that would be easier to paint onto without having to paint many coats on top of it. i also made a little heart for it to hold.





I used about 4 coats of metallic gold acrylic paint here to get an even coat.





With the little heart, I painted about one and a half coats of magenta metallic paint.





I used some white pearlescent paint here to give the piece a few highlights.





I felt that my robot wouldn't be complete without some kind of swirly antenna on top of his head. I had some wire laying around that looks to be around the 20 gauge range and I just shaped it with my hands. I then made a small hole in the back of his head to poke the end into and put a tiny bit of Aleene's Original Tacky Glue in it to give it a little hold. After it dried, I shaped the wire to lay a bit more onto the robot's head.

Thank you all once again for stopping by, and I hope that you enjoyed today's tutorial! You can find Creative Paperclay® at the following retailers Creative Paperclay® Online Store, Michael'sAmazon, Joann's.

See more of my work at Melandolly.com and be sure to catch updates on my Instagram page!


Melandolly



No comments: