Hello everyone! My name is Cinnamon Willis and I am hoping that you all are enjoying the holiday season as much as I am! Today's project will show you the basic steps to create a wooden peg doll. I turned this one into a robot, but you can make yours into whatever you would like it to be.
- Creative Paperclay®
- Wooden peg doll
- Acrylic paint
- Sanding paper
- Aleene's Original Tacky Glue
- Acrylic medium or gesso
- Acrylic paint
- 20-22 gauge wire (optional)
First I start out with an ordinary peg doll. These can be found in almost any art supply store for a couple of dollars. I brought these from my local Michaels in a pack of four, so that means I have three more to work on!
After taking a good look at the peg doll, I start mapping out where I plan to place things such as the arms, hands and feet on my robot.
After deciding where things would be, I sanded down the parts of the doll that I needed to add my clay to. This step makes it easier for the clay to grip onto the wood, it's very difficult to attach clay to smooth finished wood.
Once I get those areas rough, I slowly began smoothing some clay over the wood to bulk out my figure.
During the process of me sanding down the wood, I managed to sand off my character's face. I just drew it back on in this stage.
In this shot, I am sanding the clay on the piece down and preparing it for being painted. I'm using a sanding stick that I found on ebay, they're really good to get into small places.
Here, I gave the piece a light coat of acrylic medium, but you could us gesso instead. I added the medium to give the piece a surface that would be easier to paint onto without having to paint many coats on top of it. i also made a little heart for it to hold.
I used about 4 coats of metallic gold acrylic paint here to get an even coat.
With the little heart, I painted about one and a half coats of magenta metallic paint.
I used some white pearlescent paint here to give the piece a few highlights.
I felt that my robot wouldn't be complete without some kind of swirly antenna on top of his head. I had some wire laying around that looks to be around the 20 gauge range and I just shaped it with my hands. I then made a small hole in the back of his head to poke the end into and put a tiny bit of Aleene's Original Tacky Glue in it to give it a little hold. After it dried, I shaped the wire to lay a bit more onto the robot's head.