Friday, March 26, 2021

How to Create a Bas Relief Sculpture out of Paperclay

 


Hello and happy Friday everyone! Cinnamon here and I am going to show
you 
how I turned this Keith Haring drawing into a sculpted piece. I'm a big 
fan of his fun characters and I wanted to go with something other then
his popular dancing people for this project.

Supplies:

Creative Paperclay®
Wire
Masking tape
Exacto Knife
Sand paper
Acrylic paint
Sealer, Varnish





Whenever I start a sculpture, I begin by building a wire structure called
an armature. I try to make this as close to the actual piece as possible so that I won't have to do as much work later. In this case I also began with a sketch to guide me as shown.




When the form is where I need it to be, I covered it with masking tape so
 that I could apply the clay to it. Make sure that the tape is really snug to
the wire when you apply it.





When you are done with the tape, begin to apply the clay to the tape.





This is the first layer of clay. Set it aside until it dries which would roughly be 
24 hours depending on the conditions of your home. This will be built up in layers.





After the first layer dries, come back and begin to build up the parts that
you would like to be raised. Here I am building up the legs.





When you are done with the second layer of clay, set the piece
aside and allow it to dry.





After allowing the piece to dry, I decided to go in and sand down a few 
pieces on the sculpture to smoothen it out.





When the piece is at the level of smoothness that you desire, start getting
it ready to be painted. Here I am drawing the outline with pencil so that I could 
get my coat of paint on top of the piece.





I am using acrylic paint here, I wanted to make it red but as you can
see I'm 
still be able to see the pencil outline underneath.





After letting the paint dry, come back and paint the outline of
the piece 
with black paint.





Here's the finished piece, make sure you spray with a sealer!

 
Thank you all once again for stopping by, and I hope that you enjoyed 
today's tutorial! You can find Creative Paperclay® at the following 

See more of my work at Melandolly.com, catch updates on 
my Instagram page and here is a link to my shop!