Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Mini Boho Hanging Planter


I really enjoyed creating this little planter.  It is a perfect springtime project.  It makes a great little gift for May Day or Mother's Day or just to show that you care.  

Here is what you need to make it......

Wire cutters, assorted pliers, round nose and flat nose

Creative Paperclay, rolling pin, masking tape, 16 to 20 gauge craft wire, plastic wine glass or any cover-able vessel.  I was originally planning on using glass but opted to save this one from the landfill.  

A rubber stamp or other texture tool (Optional) 

Modpodge Outdoor

White gesso

Acrylic paint 

Yarn, twine, or cording

Also something to make large holes in your brads with. I used a knitting needle.  

Start by creating a loop at one end of your wire.  Trim ends neatly.

Form wire around your vessel. Use masking tape to hold it in place.  Create a loop at the bottom and the opposite side.  Cut off excess wire.  
Roll out a sheet of Creative Paperclay that is larger enough to cover your vessel.  

Cover your vessel.   Smooth seams.  

Make 6 beads about the diameter of a nickel.  Be sure to make your holes large enough for your stringing material.  Texture your beads (Optional).

Texture your vessel with stamp (Optional).

I chose this spotty dotty stamp.  I forgot about my Trypophobia until I started painting and the bubbles popped in the crevices.  I'm sorry if you also have this affliction.  

Allow your vessel and beads to dry completely.  Overnight is best.

Paint in color of your choosing.  I made a soft green with blue, yellow, and white gesso.  I like the matte look of gesso.  

After the paint dries apply  coat of Mod-Podge Outdoor to protect the clay surface from water damage.  


Make a wire ring about 1.5 - 2 inches in diameter.  This will be the hook for hanging your planter.  

Using stringing fibers of choice, about 2 yards long, attach to wire ring with larks head or slipknot. Braid or knot your fibers adding beads after every few knots.

 I used a simple macrame square knot.  Here is a video tutorial of that step:


Attach braided/knotted fibers to planter.   Add a few decorative, netting knots around base of planter and knot at the very bottom.  Tie off and create decorative fringe with excess fibers.  

Add a plant or even an electric candle. Hang it up and enjoy or give as a thoughtful gift.  


2 comments:

Melandolly said...

Love, lOVE, lOVE THIS!!!!!

LaLa said...

I'm so glad that you like it. I think Wandering Wanda is happy with her new home!