Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Making a thin gourd wonderful with Creative Paperclay®

 

My project this time transformed a very thin ugly little gourd into a beautiful bowl. I had this gourd for quite some time because when I cut it open and cleaned it the gourd was super thin. I set it aside rather than work with it. I was looking for something else the other day and came across this gourd and had the bright idea that I could save it and transform it with some Creative Paperclay®.

2003-01-14 16.34.09        2003-01-14 16.34.20

Not very pretty is it? I don’t know if you can see how thin it is but take my word for it. The first thing I did was cover the gourd with Creative Paperclay®.

2003-01-14 17.49.37        2003-01-14 17.49.49

Once the paperclay was applied to the gourd, I first let it completely dry and then sanded it smooth by hand. I then painted the inside of the gourd black. On the outside I mixed up some Sakura Crystal Lacquer and Terri Sproul Mixers, Tanzanite Blue Shimmer and Green Shimmer and painted it on the gourd. When that was finished and dry, I added some mosaic black tiles and voila’ look what we have now!

              2003-01-16 15.51.07                          2003-01-16 15.50.56

So here you see the finished project, this gourd is really beautiful. Can you see the shimmer on it? I love the look of that shimmer and I love this color. Look at the before and then look at the after. Wow, quite a difference isn’t it? Creative Paperclay® is a great paperclay to work with and I’ve been using it for quite a long time. You need to try it too!

 

Barbara

1 comment:

Lyneen said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!