Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mushroom Fairy Part 1

Hey everyone, it's Edie.

Do you ever go through artistic phases? You know, those times where all you want to do is paint roses or make ATC’s. Right now I am on an art doll kick. I am currently working on my largest art doll EVER, and in the mean time this little fairy came to life. Actually, she took over and would not let me sleep until she was finished!!! You can view the full video tutorial below.


The whole project isn’t actually finished, but at least the fairy part is done. You will have to wait until next month to see the totally finished project ;) I created a wire armature and completely covered it on Creative Paperclay® and sculpted her face. Once she was dry, I painted the entire thing with acrylic paint in portrait pink, then used a flesh tint to paint the shadows and white for the highlights. I painted all of her facial features and dress using acrylic craft paint in metallic peridot and napa red.



I cut a small piece of lace for the base of her skirt. I added several strips of yarn and ribbon, to give it a bit of flair and whimsy, then glued it in place.

I have these really unique, “fairy wing” leaves that fall from the tree in my front yard. I coated both sides of the leaves with melted bees wax, and then attached them with fabric glue.

I made my own spray ink by mixing butterscotch and cranberry re-inker with water. I then sprayed a small section of undyed wool roving to get the color I wanted for her hair, then I glued it in place with more fabric glue.

 

For the finishing touch, I colored a chipboard butterfly sticker with glitter gel pens and glue it in her hands.

As I said, this is only part one of the entire project, so you will have to tune in next time to see the finished piece. I have already begun working on it and it is SO cute!

You can see more of my work on my blog.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO7yUGFm460

No comments: