Thursday, January 9, 2014

Kid-Friendly Worry Moon

Hello out there in blog land! It is Susan from TheBoredZombie.com with a family friendly project suitable for all skill levels.

When I was a kid, I remember coming across some worry people. They were small people that you carried around or put under your pillow. You can whisper your worries to the little people and they carry the weight of the worry. I did a little research - and they exist as tiny as I remember! They are probably OK in the hands of a 10 year old, but a little small for the younger ones. When I saw the moon face silicon mold in my stash - I instantly thought of a worry charm!

For you or your little one to make one of your very own, you'll need:
  • Creative Paperclay® Modeling Material
  • Glow in the Dark Paint
  • Silicon Face Mold
  • Small scrap of fabric
I wasn't sure which face I wanted to use, I went ahead and molded them all!

I pulled out the ones that were way too small or awake and was left with the biggest one as my favorite. I sanded him smooth and added several layers of glow in the dark paint.

For my moon, I went simple and painted a marionette tattoo inspiration. You can go wild and decorate him anyway you wish! I bet some rhinestones would be fantastic! I will tell you -I struggled painting over the glow in the dark paint a bit. The glow in the dark dries almost plastic-like and the black really didnt want to play with it. My lines aren't as solid or consistent as I would like, but I think it is worth it when you turn off the lights!

It seems to me that a worry charm you can't find isn't very useful! I made a simple pocket for mine that is completely suitable for little hands. I cut a piece of scrap fabric to roughly .75" larger than the charm on the two sides and bottom and 1.5" larger on the top with a fold on the bottom.

On each of the "tops", I folded the fabric over 1/4" twice and sewed them closed.

One the tops were sewn down, I folded the fabric right sides together and put a quick seam down each side.

Turn the pocket right side out and the Worry Moon should slide right in there. My daughter and I are going to pick a place on the flat sheet or the pillow and sew the pocket on. Now if she wakes in the middle of the night or has trouble going to sleep, she can grab her Worry Moon and transfer all that bad stuff to him for the night. No worries, he will sleep right through it!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and taking a look at my project. Don't forget! The Valentine's Day Link up is February 8th! I hope you're thinking about your project!

details: https://www.facebook.com/events/213247485529968/

7 comments:

Dianie said...

Susan What a fun and creative idea!
I know my grandkids would love making these.
Thanks for sharing this clever project :)

~Diane

dawnmercedes said...

what a sweet face...love this idea!

Unknown said...

Such a cute idea!!! Great for Gifts for Little ones to make too!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a fun idea. This would be a great project for when the grandchildren come over!

Charmed Confections said...

Hi Susan ... love this idea! For all the worrying I do, I need to make a lot of these. Love them!! LeeAnn

Rachaeldaisy said...

ooo I love how it glows in the dark!!

Paula@TheSassyQuilter said...

How fun! I love anything that glows in the dark:)