Monday, June 24, 2019

Making cute things with molds and Creative Paperclay




Every once in awhile you just need an article on products that work well with each other and that can be used in different ways. 

Supplies Needed for this Project:

Molds
Powder or cornstarch/makeup brush
Water and mild dish soap
clay tools
glue


I have a great many molds, including some that I've made myself which are not pictured. I have many more molds than those shown here. These are all silicone molds but I use plastic molds also. A great place to find molds for different holidays is at your local Dollar Store. They usually have Seasonal or Holiday silcone ice cube trays that are awesome to use with Creative Paperclay or Delight Clay, just don't fill them to the top. 

I used Delight Clay for these molds but in the future I will probably stick to the Creative Paperclay as opposed to the Delight Clay.



When using molds with my Creative Paperclay I dust the molds with baby powder but you can also use cornstarch. You can use many molds for making embellishments for mixed media pieces and even ones that are very thin for cards (or just don't fill your mold up completely). The leaves in the following picture are about an eighth of an inch thick.


Put Creative Paperclay into several molds at first and let them start drying around the edges before popping them out of the molds. I've found this works better than trying to pop them out all at once. Do the same with the Delight Clay that you use.

I recently saw life-sized busts of the Rock Star Group "Kiss" on the web that were made using Delight Clay that looked amazing and so life like!



This picture is of the Creative Paperclay & Delight Clay while it is still wet. The difference is noticeable.

This picture is of the Creative Paperclay & Delight Clay after it has dried. The difference between wet and dry can definitely be told on the Creative Paperclay but not at all on the Delight Clay .

Once your clay is dry you can paint it with acrylics or inks. I would use the same medium for both the clay and the item I'm putting it on. By popping your clay out of the mold while it's just dry around the edges, you can bend it to fit whatever you are placing it on. One thing I have found with gourds is that it will adhere nicely on it's own but I still don't trust it and use some glue also.

Clean up of the molds is very easy. Let them set in some water with mild dish soap for just a few minutes and just rub any leftover clay off the mold! You might want to use a fingernail brush to clean out any little, hard to get to spots.

I hope this article helps you to feel undaunted while using molds to create many embellishments. Some molds can be used for ornament making too.

So go on over to the Creative Paperclay website and pick you up some Creative Paperclay and Delight Clay or buy it from different retailers in your area.

Barbara

No comments: