Friday, November 27, 2020

How to Create This 2020 Lysol Edition Christmas Ornament


Happy Holidays everyone! I am going to show you how I created this fun Lysol ornament with paperclay. You can't get enough Lysol these days, and that's if you are even lucky enough to find it!

You will need the following:

Supplies:
Creative Paperclay®
Printer for the label
Image software to resize the label
Masking tape
Cardboard
Exacto Knife
Sand paper
Thin Jewelry Wire
Mod Podge
Acrylic paint





I first started off by looking for an image of the label on the Lysol can on Google. I found a few, downloaded them and put them in Adobe Illustrator to play with the size. There are loads of other imaging software that could be used such as Gimp which is free and Canva is free to try for the first 30 days. You might have to do a bit of research here to see what works best for you.





I printed out 4 labels at different sizes and two different colors. I wanted to see them printed out to help me decide on how big the can should be.





I took some really thin cardboard and rolled it up so that I could start working on the body of the can. After I got the right size, I took the masking tape and secured it in place.





After I felt that the sizing was good for the can, I began to put some clay over the cardboard tube. Make sure that your label wraps around it at a good length before letting it dry. If you are happy with the fit, leave one end of the tube open so that you could place the loop for the tree into it later. Allow it to sit for about 24 hours so that it could dry.





Cut down your wire to the right length so that the piece could have a few inches above it so that it could placed on a tree. Knot it at the end and then cover it with masking tape so that you can insert it into the open end of the tube.





Insert the wire into the open end of the tube and cover it with clay. If there are any other parts that need to be filled out with another layer of clay, this would be the right time to add it.





Flatten the top out as much as you can while the clay is till pliable. When you are done with this step, set the piece aside and allow it to dry.





Roll out a small piece of clay to create the bottom end of the can. When the piece is consistent, wrap it around the bottom and smooth in to place with a dap of water if needed.





Smooth the roll down and inward so that it protrudes a little bit out from the bottom. When you are happy with the shape of this, allow it to dry.





After you have let you piece dry, you are ready to move on to sanding it smooth. I am using a mix of 400 grit and 100 grit sanding paper sheets. The sand paper with the lower number  smooths out fine knicks and pieces while the larger number removes larger pieces that need to be flattened down.




When you are satisfied with sanding the piece, paint the bottom of it in a metallic silver so that it would resemble the bottom of a can. Depending on the paint that you have, you may need to paint a few layers to get the metallic finish for your piece. You can either choose to paint the top in white or leave it as is. I feel that a nice white glossy paint could make the piece look a little more like a real can of Lysol.





When your paint dries, you can now move on to putting the label onto the canister. I am painting a thin layer of Mod Podge here so that I can smoothly glue it onto the piece. Be careful to not leave any bubbles or gaps. You want to glue the label as flat as you can to the piece so that it will have a smooth appearance. It may take a few attempts.




Here is the completed piece. I don't have my tree up yet but for demonstration purposes, I hung this ornament off of a bamboo tree in my Betta's tank. If you look closely, you can see him being nosey!

Thank you all once again for stopping by, and I hope that you enjoyed today's tutorial! You can find Creative Paperclay® at the following retailers Creative Paperclay® Online store, Michael'sAmazon, Joann's.

See more of my work at Melandolly.com, catch updates on 
my Instagram page and here is a link to my shop!

Stay Safe out there!


No comments: