Friday, April 23, 2021

How to Create a Cameo Framed Art Piece



Hello and happy Friday everyone, Cinnamon here and I am going to show you how I created this cameo framed art piece.  Follow the steps below to see how this was done.


Supplies:
  • Creative Paperclay®
  • Small hand roller or something to flatten out clay
  • Decorative frame
  • Exacto knife 
  • Sand paper
  • e6000 glue
  • Acrylic Black and gold paint
  • Sealer, Varnish
  • Sheet of black felt



 I have a few of these pretty frames that I brought from my local 5 Below discount store. It has a very vintage and distinguished look so I wanted to create a cameo piece and place it in the middle. I have always admired vintage cameo portraits and wanted to try to recreate one of my own.





***This is not a necessary step****, but I chose to create my own silhouette from an image I found online in Adobe Illustrator. You can just grab a silhouette from a quick Google search online or draw one by hand. 





I took the silhouette and made it to the size of the opening of the frame and cut it out. Again, you can just do this by hand and not get on the computer to do this step.





Once I cut out the silhouette, I used it as a guide to make sure that I create my piece to size.
I have a flat tool that I use to shape clay which allows me to cut pieces of the clay as needed to create fine details. You can use a pin or anything that allows you to shape those little details while the clay is still pliable. It's important to get you basic shape down at this point so that you don't have to do as much sanding and cutting into the clay later.




Keep building up the piece and focus on getting the profile just right. 





I wanted to add a braid to the hair of the piece. My clay was a bit dried out so it broke in a few places when I tried to rolled out thin pieces of it. If you use fresh paperclay, you won't run into this problem. If you do, it can easily be corrected by brushing a bit of water onto the pieces and blend them together.





I took the braid and pressed it into the piece with a wet brush to help it stick in place. I brushed the pieces on the braid with the damp brush to join some of the pieces that were splitting from each other. Set the piece aside and allow it to dry.





Once the piece dried, I did a light sanding to clean up the details and smooth it out.





Be sure to try the piece out in the opening of the frame to see if you are happy with the size. Adjust as necessary.





After I was done with sanding, I moved on to painting the piece with a black undercoat of acrylic paint.





After applying the undercoat, I painted gold acrylic paint onto the piece using the dry brush technique. The braid was fully painted in gold so that it could be the focal point. Set aside to dry and then seal it with varnish.





Take your felt sheet and cut it down to the size of the opening of the frame. After you cut it down to size, glue it onto the back of the frame with the the e6000 glue.





If your piece is dry, glue it onto the frame with the e6000 glue as well.





And this is how it turned out!


Thank you all once again for stopping by, and I hope that you enjoyed 
today's tutorial! You can find Creative Paperclay® at the following 

See more of my work at Melandolly.com, catch updates on 
my Instagram page and here is a link to my shop!


.  















No comments: