Friday, November 26, 2021

Create a Bunny Skull Ornament



Hello everyone! My name is Cinnamon Willis and I am going to show you how I created this ornament! I was inspired by a logo of a clothing brand called Psycho Bunny and thought it would be cute to turn it into an ornament.

Supplies:
  • Creative Paperclay®
  • Masking tape
  • Filer such as paper, cardboard or foil
  • Acrylic paint
  • Sanding paper
  • jewelry wire
  • Pliers
  • Thick wire for an armature




Begin by creating your shape for the skull with the wire.



Wrap your piece with masking tape. Use paper or what ever you would like to use as filler to bulk it out so that you use less clay.




Take your jewelry wire or what ever you choose to use for your loop and create a knot at the bottom. When you make your knot, rap it up with masking tape. This is what I do to make sure that the wire doesn't slip out of the piece later once the ornament is complete which is what happens if you leave the ends loose.



Start adding clay to your piece. This is where you would add the loop that we created on the back of the piece and position it as shown above before the clay dries. After you have the basic shape of the head and loop in position, set it aside to dry.

It is much harder to add the loop afterwards which is what I ended up doing after creating this bunny! You will need to drill a hole into it and fill it back up with clay and maybe even glue.




I am using a skull here for reference to get an idea of how the bones should kind of look around the eye sockets.





Start working out the details of how you would like your skull to look. Pay attention to the sockets, where the nose would be, the ears and also the teeth!




When you are satisfied with how your skull has shaped up, sand it down to smooth out the lumps and bumps. I use a sandpaper with a grit of 800 to get things super smooth and around 400 grit to take out the larger rough parts.




It's time to beak out your acrylic paints! I use a black wash technique where I water down the black paint, paint it over the areas where I want the piece to look a little dirty and quickly wipe it off. It gives the piece a worn look, I do this a few times over the socket areas to make that part darker than the rest and I do it lightly over the rest of the piece. You can go over the areas that come out a bit too heavy with white paint in the same way to lighten them back up.



(This bunny has seen some things...)

Thank you all once again for stopping by, and I hope that you enjoyed today's tutorial! You can find Creative Paperclay® at the following retailers Creative Paperclay® Online Store, Michael's, Amazon, Joann's.


See more of my work at Melandolly.com, catch updates on 

my Instagram page and here is a link to my shop!





No comments: