Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Creating a Textured Bodice with Creative Paperclay®


This is my Warrior Goddess, Taino Daka.  Well it's her torso anyway.  This will be a multi post project because there are so many steps.  Today I will show you how I made her bodice using thin sheets of textured Creative Paperclay®.  

Next month I will share more aspects of this sculpture.


SUPPLIES:

Creative Paperclay®

Doll bust armature or full sized doll

Sculpting tools - manicure sticks and knitting needles are great for beginners 

Texture sheets, stamps, or impression making tools. I am using Victoria James Real Textures

Water - in a spray bottle is best

Black gesso I am using Golden Brand

PanPastels in metallic bronze or Metallic acrylic paint (heavy body paints work best for this technique)

Sealant of choice I like ModPodge for brush on and Krylon Crystal Clear for spray on.  









For this project you will need a doll bust. I will share the steps to making the bust next month.  if you don't want to wait, here are some past posts that will being you up to this point.

Face sculpting: 

Bust armatures:

OK, back to today's project, The bodice or corset.  
Start with shaping and smoothing the bust line.  No one wants lumpy breasts!

Once you get the shape and size you like you are going to create a push-up effect with your thumbs.  You will lift and push together to create a cleavage.

you will end up with a funny looking bust line.  It should look something like this.  now add a bit more Creative Paperclay® to the lower bust line and round them out again.  Try to not disturb the nice shape you created in the upper bust line.  You may want to allow it to dry before adding the additional clay.  This will prevent any mishaps or distortion.

Roll out a sheet of clay about 1/8 inch thick and as wide as your dolls torso.

Add a some texture to your clay sheet.  You can use texture sheets, rubber stamps, stencils, tools, or household items to texture your clay.

I used a silicone texture sheet from Victoria James Art Real Textures


Spray the naked torso lightly with water.  If you don't have a spray bottle use a paint brush.
gently lay the 'fabric" on to your bust.  with your fingers gently coerce the fabric over the cures and form of your bust.
 
Roll out a tiny spaghetti of clay for trim.  Add a light spray of water to it be for applying it to your piece.  Gently place it along the top & under the bust line.  Use a tool or toothpick to blend it into your bodice.

At this point, allow your bust to dry completely.  Overnight or longer.  The textures pieces can be smashed and smeared easily.

The next day I woke up to a few cracks in my textured bodice.  Oh No!  No worries though.  This is an easy fix.  I used the tiniest slivers of Creative Paperclay® and a bit of water.  Then with a sharp tool I fixed up the texture that was lost with my patch.

Here you see how good the repairs look.  Even on highly textured Creative Paperclay®, it is easy to repair cracks.  I also want to point out the tiny crack, where the arrow is pointing.  I didn't bother patching this up.  It is too tiny to be of concern.  The gesso and paint will fill that in nicely.  


Next, paint your torso with black gesso.  I used 2 coats and allowed it to completely dry in between layers.  The cracks are completely imperceptible.  Pretty cool, hah?

Once your final coat of gesso is completely dry, apply metallic PanPastels  (I used Bronze) or heavy body acrylic paint to the raised areas only.  I prefer to do this with my finger.  You an use a sponge or brush if you prefer but, be careful to only apply metallics to the raised surface.  Go lightly.  You don't want to lose the effect.

Here is the finished product.  What do you think?  I think I want to make one for myself!
Be sure to come back next month to see the rest of the project.


Check out my video tutorial workshop on painting a bust click here



If you decide to make your own please be sure to share a few photos with me!

I hope that you have enjoyed this project as much as I have! I'll be back with more "What's On My Workbench Wednesday" fun on the first Wednesday of each month.

Come back for more cool ideas and projects! Creative Paperclay® and Delight™ are conveniently available for you to purchase online and at the below listed retailers.

Creative Paperclay® Online Store
Michael's
Hobby Lobby
Joann's

Until then, stay safe & cozy and don’t forget to wear a mask!

Fin - The End

No comments: