Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Create an Eye-catching Face Shield with Creative PaperClay!

                                    

Teaching in the age of COVID has taken on an interesting list of "must-haves" to stay safe in the classroom.  None is more interesting (to me) than the face shield.  I teach in a private Catholic School, and we have returned to school 5 days a week, in-person.  The administration gifted every member of the staff with a God-awful ugly face shield to be worn whenever we cannot maintain a 6' distance between the students and us.  As an art teacher, that distance is basically impossible as I roam the aisles between the desks (6' apart), obviously getting in much closer than recommended.  With the reality that the shield would be a regular part of my outfit, I set to work accessorizing the accessory 😉

Materials:

Creative PaperClay

Plaid Folk Art paint in colors of choice plus a brush or sponge 

Aleene's "The Ultimate" tacky glue

assorted flexible molds

flexible face shield

tape (optional)

Procedure:

  
 


Decorating the face shield began by painting over the blue "FACE SHIELD" logo and directions (I think I am capable of figuring it out).  I mean, seriously, who needs directions on how to put the face shield on?!?!  For this, I went to my stash of paints and pulled 3 of my favorite Plaid Folk Art paints: #6313 Tanzanite Multi-surface Metallic, #5882 Purple Glitterfic, and #2797 black Extreme Glitter.  I painted the blue stripe with Tanzanite first, using multiple layers (drying between each layer) until the writing was hidden.  Next up, a thin layer of the Extreme Glitter.  I wanted bling, but I didn't want the black glitter to overpower the beautiful purple (obviously my favorite color).  The final paint applied was the purple Glitterific.  After all, everything is better with bling!!

NOTE:  Before applying paint, be sure to tape off a straight edge.  Trust me, I speak from experience that you cannot paint a perfectly straight line without it!

A few thoughts about painting the plastic:

1) A sponge works better than a brush for applying the metallic paint.  Using a sponge will add a texture to the color, which in turn will capture the glitter paint when applied.

2) Use a brush for the Extreme Glitter paint unless you want it to show more than the color behind.

3) And finally, use a sponge to apply the Glitterific paint.  A sponge will quickly disperse the glitter fibers into an even, blingy coat.  Both the Glitterific and Extreme Glitter paints will cover nicely with one coat.


I recommend removing the tape as soon as the painting is complete.  

Next up, decorating!!  I have a considerable stash of flexible molds in my studio and classroom.  I decided to go with faces and flowers for this mask (I am sure there will be more if in-person teaching continues since only one would be so dull!).  I chose Creative PaperClay for the dimensional components because of its weight...super lightweight!  Open a package of Creative PaperClay and pull off a small bit.  Wrap any remaining clay in plastic wrap or a Ziploc baggie (be sure to press all of the air out).
It doesn't take much to fill the designs in any of these molds.  Pull off a small bit of the clay, roll it into a ball, and then press it into the desired recessed area of the mold, flattening the back as you push.  To remove the component, simply flex the mold. 

Repeat until you have a variety of clay components to decorate the painted area.  


Allow the clay to dry overnight.  If you are an impatient person, they can also be placed in the oven (275 degrees) for about 10-15 minutes to quickly dry.  Arrange the clay components on the painted area, rearranging as they speak to you. 
Just a thought: Be sure to leave spaces between the pieces so the shield can still flex around your head.

 Once you are happy with the arrangement, apply a bit of Aleene's "The Ultimate" tacky glue (my favorite) to the back of each piece and press it into place.  Allow to dry and then go WOW your friends and co-workers with your unique face shield revamp!




Optional:  Creative PaperClay can be painted or powdered or inked easily.  If desired, components can be detailed before gluing to the face shield.  



Written and created by Linda Hess















No comments: