Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Composimold Review and Honeycomb ATC

Hey Everybody, It's Edie, Do you ever buy random things because you just KNOW you’re going to make great things with it… someday??? That was the case with the neon green, silicone pot holder I bought several months ago. It looked like a honeycomb and I just KNEW I could make something super cool with it. I wanted to use it as a stamp, put it in a painting and at least five other projects came to mind just by holding and squishing that piece of random inspiration. The problem was, I didn’t want to USE the potholder because I only had one. I thought it was impossible to mold because it is so flexible and thin that is, until I discovered Compisimold! Compisimold is a pourable, food safe silicone mold that you can melt and remold over and over again and it was exactly what I needed for this project.

You can view BOTH full video tutorials below. I don’t own a microwave, so I melted my Composimold on the stove and poured it over the potholder. Once it was completely cooled, I removed the original and I had a reusable mold that looked just like my potholder! The Composimold did have a lot of bubbles which would ruin most molds but it actually enhanced this particular project, so I didn’t mind too much in the end. The Composimold instructions recommend stirring often, but I think that is what caused all of the bubbles. If I had just let it sit and melt, I don’t think I would have had near as many bubbles. Once the mold was ready, I broke out my Creative Paperclay® and started playing. I rolled out my Paperclay over the top of the mold which gave me an absolutely fantastic honeycomb texture, and then I cut my ATC out of the textured Creative Paperclay®. I let the ATC dry completely and then I painted it, glitterfied it and added the honeybee embellishment. I wrote out my quote, painted the paper and glued it to the ATC and then I covered the text with Glosssy Accents to make it shine.

Overall I was pretty happy with the Composimold and I plan on making more projects with it. If you have something that is an awkward shape or just too soft to mold, you may want to give Composimold a try. It worked great with the Creative Paperclay® and I am really happy with the way this ATC turned out. I hope you enjoyed this project and I hope you have a Valentine’s Day that is filled with love! BIG HUGS!
Visit my blog.


 

No comments: