I was working on this assemblage for a show and I was stuck until I started using Creative Paperclay® on another project and I realized it was just what I needed for this piece.
I started with balls of clay, making them all about the same size.
I laid embossed paper over the clay balls and brayered them flat. The pattern looked great on them. These became the pedals of the skirt.
I applied the embossed disks to the assemblage to make a skirt and shaped some clay to look like flames. I let the clay dry thoroughly. The skirt was painted with a burnt umber paint and cinnamon was sprinkled on the paint while it was still wet. It gave it a faux rust look. I then painted the little flames with orange and yellow paint.