Thursday, September 6, 2018

Calaveras - Day of the Dead Sugar Skull Ornament or Refrigerator Magnet with Delight TM







Calaveras - Day of the Dead Sugar Skull Ornament or Refrigerator Magnet with Delight TM

Aren't these fun?

The Day of the Dead (El Día de los Muertos in Spanish) is a Latin American holiday (November 1 - 2) to to celebrate and honor our ancestors, friends, and family who have crossed over in to afterlife.  During this time we celebrate with feasts, parades, prayers, ofrendas, and altars.  The "Calaveras" or Sugar Skulls are often personalized with names and embellishments of lost loved ones.   

This is my first project using Delight TM.  I kept it pretty simple.  I really just wanted to do some experimenting with it.  It's really interesting stuff.  Kinda marshmallow-ish in texture.  It's so soft and light weight I thought ornaments, Magnets, pins, and earrings!  This project works for all of the above as long as you have the proper hardware.  I was thinking that this is a great project for a group to do.  Even a whole classroom of children could do it!  You can use any rubber stamps.  It doesn't have to be this one.
  
Supplies:

Delight TM
Acrylic Paint (I used Apple Barrel Gloss in Black)
Paint Brush
Acrylic roller, brayer, or a glass jar
Markers (I used Copic Sketch Brush Tip)
Sandpaper or nail file (I used 320 -420 grits) Optional
Dust Mask or Bandana – use this when sanding
Sealer - ( I have used PYM II because it is what I had.  I have also used Krylon Matte and Crystal Clear and Golden Archival Spray Varnish.) Optional   
Check out this article about sealer by Creative Paperclay® Design Team Member Gloriann Irizarry 



Roll out a piece of Delight TM, Just like a cookie or pie crust.  Make it however thick you like your cookies.  I like mine thin and crisp so, that's what I did.

Any acrylic paint should work.  This is what I used. It doesn't have to be black.  Purple or magenta would be equally awesome!  I tried using inks and was not satisfied.  The clay stuck to the stamp. 

Lightly brush paint onto your stamp.

I got this stamp at Michael's
Stamp onto Delight TM.  Don't push too hard.  You don't want to smudge the paint.
White is nice and classic!

You can add color to Delight TM with a bit of acrylic paint mixed in.  I like this swirly look!  Have fun with colors!  Day of the Dead is a festive celebration.  We use lots of bright happy colors in our imagery and art!


Next, cut them out with scissors or a craft knife.  I tried both ways.  I'm really thinking this is great for a group.  Even the little ones can get in on the action with scissors instead of knives.  After you cut them let them dry for a few hours or put them in a warm 200 degree oven for 20 minutes.  See, just like cookies!

***If you are making an ornament this is the time to add your holes.  Just above the butterfly's head is the perfect place.  Use a needle tool, toothpick or bamboo skewer to make the hole.
Sometimes the edges are rough.  Don't fuss with it too much.  Let it dry.  You can sand this down later if needed.  You can also wet with water to smooth it after it dries.  

After they are dry and cooled add some color with markers.
I used Copic Sketch Markers with brush tips. I like how they are similar to paint brushes.  Except you never have to wash them or re-dip them in paint. You can use any markers you like best.
Embellish and personalize your Calaveras with flowers, beads, sequins, gems, or stickers.  glue a magnet or pin back onto the back.  For ornaments or even a pendant, tie a ribbon through the hole.
Creative Paperclay® and Delight™ are conveniently available for you to purchase online and at the below listed retailers.

I hope that you have enjoyed this project as much as I have!  I'll be back with more "What's On My Workbench Wednesday" fun on the first Wednesday of each month.


Until then, stay creative!  


4 comments:

Melandolly said...

This is so simple and awesome! These came out great and I can totally see this being done with a group!

LaLa said...

Thank you Melandolly! I plan on doing this with guests in my studio soon.

Linda Hess said...

Such a great idea! I may have to use this with one or two of my art classes at school.

LaLa said...

Linda, I'm thrilled that you like this tutorial and plan on trying it out with a group. Please share photos if you do!