Thursday, January 9, 2020

Sculpting on Flower Pots

Hi everyone, it's Susie Krichbaum from Art by Susie K and it's Second Friday Tutorial Time!

I thought I'd share a little fun with flower pots. Something to think about as we move toward Valentine's Day and the lovely Spring months.  

What I like about this project is playing around with texture and transforming a plain item into something fun and new.   




Supplies:
Creative Paperclay
flower pot (clay, plastic or ceramic)
water
lace and other items to make impressions in the clay like the butterflies I used
paints
Your imagination 



Gather molds, charms, lace, leaves and other items to press into the clay to create texture.  

I used clay pots because I had them handy.  I won't be planting directly in them, instead I will insert another smaller pot that hold the water, dirt and plant.  The reason for this, the clay will leach moisture that will eventually ruin your beautiful work by getting the clay all wet again.   Other options would be to seal the pot with spray or pop an artificial plant in there.  

After an even layer of clay is added, start creating texture.  I'm using lace and pressing and burnishing it into the clay.  


Add as much or as little as you wish.

I decided to go with a few hearts making this a Valentine themed pot.   


You could also use molds here.  Let it dry overnight and sand and paint.  The next pot was super fun with all the butterflies.  





After the pot was cover in clay, I started pressing a fun design just around the top of the pot.

I knew I wanted butterflies, so I used some charms I happen to have and pressed them into a piece of clay.  Cut around the impression but leave a generous amount of clay around the entire object.  Moisten the back of your cut out clay and add to the pot.  
Start using a ball stylus or even a pencil to create small little dots all around the butterfly or the object you chose.  

The dots add a lot of dimension and let the butterfly pop out.  Do as many as you like, I covered the lower half of the pot.  
Let dry over night. Light sanding and get ready to paint. 


I love these paints. So shiny and fun.  I used them for the butterfly pot.  

Have fun with your colors.  I played with many different layers making some of the pot look like patina.   I also took a very watered down wash of black paint and brushed in on and wiped it off leaving enough textured areas to give it more character.  

This pot just wasn't working for me in just red and pink so I knew I was going to need to give it some more pizzazz. 

I started to layer different colors so I could create a patina look and so the hearts would have a shadowed edge around them.  

Finish up with a layer of clear spray lacquer to protect your piece, pop in a happy little plant and enjoy.   


I hope you are inspired to create something fun from this tutorial.  I am always busy creating and sharing on various social media sites, my Etsy store and website.  If you have questions you can always shoot me an email.

Contact:  Susiewhc@gmail.com
Facebook and Instagram search @ArtbySusieK
Website: https://ArtbySusieK.com
Etsy: www.ArtbySusieK.etsy.com
Pinterest:  https://www.pinterest.com/susiewhc/



No comments: