For my last project of 2016 I thought I would try using modeling metal mesh with paperclay.
I wanted to create a holiday candle holder. I don't have any angels, and I decided it would be fun to have my first one be one that I designed and created myself.
If you would like to create one yourself here is what you will need:
Container of water
Damp paper towels
Clay shaping and rolling tools
Hot glue and gun
Weather wood paint product
1. Cut a gumdrop shape of wire mesh.
2. Roll it to form a cone shape.
3. Roll out a thin sheet of paperclay.
4. Place the cone on the clay and roll it onto the form.
5. Roll a ball for the head and two tubular shapes for the arms.
6. Attach the head and the arms to the body form.
7. Roll out a small flat piece for the tray.
8. Attach the tray to the arms using more clay so that the tray, the arms, and body form one piece. (see image below)
9. Roll out several strips of clay for hair and lay it on the head. Let it drape over the arms and attach at the ends. Separate the hair in the back leaving room for the wings to attach to the body.
10.Use a wing mold or cutter and create the wings.
11. Trace the bottom of the tealight in the clay. Cut out the circle and a small strip to wrap around the circle to form a cup.
12. Set everything aside to dry.( Because parts of the angel might collapse during drying I suggest making cardboard props.)
12. Sand down all your pieces. Wipe down with a damp paper towel to remove any sanding dust.
13. Apply a coat of gesso to all of the pieces.
14. Paint the candle holder and wings. While the wings are still wet, sprinkle Glamour dust on the them.
15. Paint the angel hair brown, and the body with a cream colored acrylic paint. (I used titan buff).
16. Paint the body ( not the face) and tray with weathered wood and let dry.
17. Apply a coat of crackle paint.
18. Apply a coat of antiquing paint on the body and the tray. When dry, wipe off the excess with a damp paper towel until you have reached the desired effect.
19. Apply a coat of matt varnish on all of the pieces.
20. Attach the wings to the back and the candle cup to the tray using hot glue.
The wire mesh was really helpful in this project. I will be using it again.
I hope this tutorial helped inspire you to to make a one of a kind, handmade by you, holiday candle holder.