Friday, September 27, 2019

September Last Friday- How to fix a crack with Creative Paperclay®


How to Patch a Crack Using Creative Paperclay®



Today, I am going to talk about patching cracks that may form as the clay dries. I thought that it would be nice or beginners and perhaps Polymer Artists trying something new.  Are you frustrated with cracks after the clay dries?

It was a real problem for me in the beginning, but lucky for me, Creative Paperclay® is so  forgiving it will accept alterations that are added even after it is dry!  Even after it is painted and varnished!!!  So, I'm going to show you how I mended the crack above my Gypsy doll's right eye.  

Supplies

You
Creative Paperclay®
small container of water
Small paint brush
pointy sculpting tool
Air


Pics 1 & 2- Just shows an unfinished head with a good sized crack above the right eye. It is a real problem crack as it is also recessed under the brow and is curved. 






Pics 3, 4, & 5- I took a tiny piece of paper clay ( an amount of which is determined by the size of the defect).  Roll it into a noodle about the width and length of the defect.  A small tipped hand tool can make placement easier, so have one on hand.








Pics 6 - Dip the noodle into the water. Use the small tipped tool to tease the noodle into place. Then take a small, soft paint brush and dip it in the water. It needs to be wet, but not 
drippy wet.



Pic 7, 8, 9, &10-  Take the wet noodle and beat your spouse with it!  Just kidding!  LOL!  Place the wet noodle over the crack using your finger or the small tipped tool, as mentioned above, and use the paint brush (wet) to press and smooth the patch in place.  Work any edges very thin using the paint brush.  This helps give a smooth transition for sanding and painting when thoroughly dry.











Let dry completely.  I usually put mine in front of the fan to speed up drying time.I hope this helps anyone, new Artists and others making the switch to Creative Paperclay®! 

Just for kicks, would you like to see my Gypsy finished?  I'm just guessing you said yes...now look what you can do with Creative Paperclay®!!!





Thank you so much for coming to the Creative Paperclay® log!

Until the last Friday in Oct.  I will be here working on Creative Paperclay® projects just for you!

My best always.

Carly Smith

BTW-  I have full pound (16 0z) packages of Creative Paperclay® in my Etsy store.

They are 18.99 with FREE SHIPPING!!!  Please visit:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/CarlySmithFolkArt?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=653498009



4 comments:

Melandolly said...

You did a great job on this project, welcome to the group Carly Smith!

Unknown said...

So glad I found you! Looking forward to all your great tutorial blogs!

Carly Smith said...

Thank you so very much, Melandolly!

Cathy said...

Great post! Cracks will happen. Good to know how best to fix them. Can’t wait for utter postings!