Friday, December 27, 2019

How to make a Fully Posable Art Doll



Hello Everyone, this is Cinnamon again. I hope that everyone had a nice and eventful holiday. Today I am going to show you how I create dolls with dangling limbs that are super posable. Dolls with limbs that move freely can be a dream to pose for photographs. 

Supplies
  • Skewers
  • Scissors
  • Creative Paperclay®
  • Newspaper
  • Masking tape
  • Sand paper
  • Wool
  • Acrylic paint
  • Sealer, Varnish




Start with a ball of paper & tape it onto a wooden skewer.






Wrap it with clay to form the head.






When the clay drys, glue the head to the skewer with Aleene's tacky glue.






Take wire and wrap it around the skewer, cut off excess skewer at the bottom if necessary.






Be sure to make loops at the shoulder and bottom of pelvis for attaching limbs.





With wire, form 8 ovals and keep open in the middle. Hook one oval into each loop on the armature and then interlock another oval into that one.





Once loops are in place, tape the center closed.





Bulk up armature & limbs with tape, paper, foil, etc., leave joints loose for movement in the piece.





Wrap armature and limbs with clay leaving the joints free to dangle as done in the previous step, this is crucial.






At this stage where the limbs and head has dried, I begin to work on the face. Work in layers as you would do with anything else, sculpting and allowing it to dry before sanding the piece down for smoothness.  When you are satisfied with the face, paint the piece wit acrylics and seal to prevent from chipping.





Here I just glued some lambswool onto the dolls head with the Aleene's tacky glue.










Above are just a few photos of my posable doll. I hope you all have fun making these as I did!


Thank you all once again for stopping by, and I hope that you enjoyed today's tutorial! You can find Creative Paperclay® at the following retailers Creative Paperclay® Online Store, Michael'sAmazon, Joann's.

See more of my work at Melandolly.com and be sure to catch updates on my Instagram page

















1 comment:

LaLa said...

I really love this beautiful doll, Cinnamon! <3