Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Saving extra clay - Tori's tip for February

Hi all, it's Tori West and it's time for my Tuesday Tip post for the month.  One of the things I like to do with both Creative Paperclay® modeling material and Delight ™ Air Dry Modeling Compound is mix paint or other materials into the clay.


My tip is to let you know that making a bit of extra clay could save you a lot of trouble later on in the project.  Every time I color clay I make a little extra and store it in an airtight container.  I also write the "formula" for my mixtures down, but in truth, the odds of getting an EXACT match after the clay has dried is slim...so, save a bit, and if during the drying process your project cracks or you notice an area that needs a bit of touch-up, you'll be glad you did!

I like to use prescription bottles to store my extra mixtures in, they'll keep for quite a long time.  In order to keep track of what's in the bottle, I take a bit of the clay and press it onto the top of the bottle.  If I end up with lots of bottles of extra clay, I'll sometimes mix them together for a project that I'm going to paint - or, come up with a project that uses the colors I've got!

Thanks for visiting the blog, I hope you find this tip useful in your own artistic endeavors.




I'd love for you to join me for more projects & art adventures on my personal blog
Find me on Facebook, or peruse & ponder pics with me on Pinterest
Connect on Google+ or see what new creations I may have on Etsy




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great ideas, Tori...and well-expressed.