Thursday, June 23, 2016

Thicken Your Paint with Creative Paperclay®

Creative Paperclay® slurry allows me to paint much thicker.

What is a slurry and how do I make it? Slurry has the consistency of porridge. I make it by putting all the dried out little pieces of paper clay in a sealed container with water. It reactivates the paper clay. This mixture also allows me to stencil with it or add it to paint for a thick paint look.

SUPPLIES

Creative Paperclay®
Palette knife
Acrylic paint.







I start by mixing acrylic paint into the slurry. It actually takes a small amount of paint to color it. Not only do you end up with a thick paint but you save money by doing this.



















I applied the colored slurry to my piece of art. The background was a dark grey which I allowed to show through in areas.




















Next, I mixed a lighter version of the colored slurry. I applied it in broad strokes—the bravura stroke, the grand gesture, is an expressive application of paint on your surface. There is something freeing about doing large strokes rather than small precise ones.

Play with Art and Dream in Color.

Darlene Olivia McElroy

1 comment:

SandeeNC said...

I love this idea, will have to try it!