Thursday, June 9, 2016

Changing the Story with Creative Paperclay®







































As a narrative artist I find that I am always adjusting the stories around me. This clay mask has been hanging around the studio for years. It has been cast, been in videos and I felt it was time for a facelift. Because it was clay, I knew it would take Creative Paperclay® very well.

SUPPLIES

Object
Creative Paperclay®
Acrylic Paint











I started by slightly dampening the surface with water then building up the butterfly shapes with the clay.





















Next I added texture with a variety of tools from a wood skewer, ceramic mark making tools and something I do not know the name of. Maybe for cooking (not my specialty). Finished by smoothing the edges with a little water.


















Next I applied a wet brown paint, I immediately blotted it for a stained effect. This was just my base color.





















Since I wanted it to look like it was part of the original mask I added a wash of titan buff and grey paint. While wet I salted the paint to give it the feel of the mask.

Play with Art, and Dream in Color!

Darlene Olivia McElroy