Monday, April 20, 2015

Alice Inspired Pin Cushion for Mom

 Good Morning!

If you have a Mom who likes to sew then this cute teacup pin cushion gift will be a real winner!


It doesn't matter how old you are, mom will always cherish something handmade by you. She still has a shoebox full of magnificent drawings you created in elementary school .... am I right?



Here is what you will need

Creative Paperclay®
Sandpaper
Sandits®
Styrofoam ball
Poly fiberfill
Fabric
Plastic flowerpot
Baking spray
Sewing pins
Needle and thread
Americana Muti-surface paint®
Mod Podge®
 E6000 glue

Let's get started

Making the cup
1. Lightly spray a plastic flower pot with baking spray so that your paperclay will not stick.
2. Roll out a sheet of paperclay and drape over the flower pot.
3. Trim off excess.
4. Smooth out paperclay using water on your fingertips
5. Cut a strip of paperclay and roll it to form a solid tube. (This will be for your handle)
6. When dry smooth out the cup more (if needed) using a fine grit sandpaper. The handle had a lot of  curves. I found it was easier to finish using Sandits®.
7. Paint your pieces and decorate to your liking.
8. Attach the handle to the cup using E6000 glue.
9. Mod Podge the entire piece to seal.



Making the pin cushion 
1.Cut a square piece of fabric large enough to wrap around your ball.
2.Wrap some fiberfill around the styrofoam ball.
3.Wrap your fabric around the ball to hold the fiberfill on pinning in place.
4. Take a needle and thread and stitch together at the bottom of the ball gathering excess as you go.
5. Remove the pins.
6. Glue the finished fabric covered ball into the cup using E6000 glue.



Top view of the finished pin cushion
Thanks for following along with the creation of my quirky Alice in Wonderland inspired pin cushion.

Happy creating!
Shari


I have been creating art for as long as I can remember. I studied graphic design in Portland, Oregon before moving to Denton, Texas and putting all my focus on creating mixed media art. In addition to being on the Creative Paperclay design team, I am a contributor for the Robin's Nest Design Team, an article writer for Mixed Media Art, and a blogger for DecoArt.
I strongly believe in giving back. I volunteer at Scrap Denton Creative Reuse Center where I teach workshops, art camps, and perform art demos. I am very passionate about mixed media art and enjoy helping and watching others discover their creativity.
Follow more of my creative journey on My Altered Life's blog and My Altered Life on FB

1 comment:

Jackie PN said...

very cool Sherie!! Thanks for the tut!!