Friday, November 2, 2012

Mexican Sugar Skull

Hello! My name is Rachel, and I'm so excited to be part of the new Design Team for Creative Paperclay® modeling material! Today, I'll be showing you my Mexican Sugar Skull made with Creative Paperclay®!
 I love celebrating the Mexican holiday, Dia De los Muertos know by many as Day of the Dead. Contrary to the imagery of the holiday, Day of the Dead is a celebration of life. A time to remember loved ones that have passed with food, drinks, flowers, and lots of color. One of the traditional pieces of Day of the Dead is the Sugar Skull.

SUPPLIES YOU WILL NEED:
First, I pressed my clay into the Sugar Skull mold.
Then I set it outside in the sun to dry. Drying time takes a bit longer when you use a mold, so this process took a couple days.
Once my clay was dry, I released it from the mold.
Connect the front and back pieces together using more Creative Paperclay®. Allow this clay to dry, and sand the whole piece to remove visible seams.
Now for the FUN part! Coat the skull in glue, and cover the wet glue with GLITTER. I used clear glitter for my piece, but you can use any color, because later, we'll be covering it with paint. Because of this, you could also use a fine sand to create the sugared look.
Once my glue was dry, and I was sure all of the skull was covered, I spray painted my skull. If you want to stay traditional with your skull, you could use white paint instead of blue like I used.
Once my spray paint was dry, I started adding the details of my skull using Acrylic Craft Paint. (my personal favorite is Folk Art Craft Paints.)
I think this little guy will be perfect sitting in the arms of my newest Day of the Dead Bride Art Doll made with Creative Paperclay® modeling material as well!
If you create a sugar skull, Please leave a comment with a link here, so I can come and visit to see! I would love for you to visit me at my "house" too!! Thank you so much for reading!! 
~rachel

3 comments:

Rachel OCrowley said...

Very cool!

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

this is fantastic, I love it!

Anonymous said...

this is great, love what you did here.. I just got some of this clay and havent decided what to do with it yet..... this is inspiring... thank- you